Italian cuisine is centered on the use of pasta. One such pasta is the tasty, delicious filled gnocchi. Gnocchi can be prepared in any number of ways. What we will see here is how to make Gnocchi Con Salsa al Pomodoro.
- 3 Potatoes, medium
- 4 or 5 tomatoes, small to medium sized, cored
- 1 Stick of butter
- 1 Medium onion, peeled & cut in half
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- About 1/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Boil the potatoes and tomatoes in separate pans. Leave the potatoes in the hot water. When the tomatoes are softened, remove from heat and peel them. The skin should pull right off.
- Cut each tomato in half and empty the seeds into a strainer over a bowl. Discard the seeds & add the juices to the pan/wok. Chop the tomatoes coarsely and add to an un-oiled pot or wok. Add the butter, onion, reserved tomato juices, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt. Place wok or pan over a low-medium burner.
- Let this simmer slowly as you prepare the gnocchi.
- Peel the potatoes while still very warm. The skins should come off easily with a small knife blade. Just pull the blade perpendicular across the potato and the skin will come off smoothly.
- Mash the warm potatoes with a vegetable press so that they fall onto a well floured wooden counter-top. Add the flour and mix together thoroughly; just until blended.
- Kneading is a strong word for what you want to do here. You just need to mix the flour into the potato and form a dough.
- Roll the potato mixture into long pieces about 12″ long and 1/4″ thick. Then cut into small gnocchi pieces approximately 1/2″ long or so.
- Grab a cutting board that has ridges on the back and press each small gnocchi into the ridges with the index finger so that it makes a small “pouch” in the gnocchi. Let them fall onto a well floured cookie sheet or pan. The indentation and resulting ridges in the gnocchi will capture the sauce.
- Drop the gnocchis into a pan of boiling water that has been lightly salted and oiled. Boil the gnocchi until they float to the top. Remove, drain and place in a bowl.
- The tomato mixture in the pan has now reduced away, the tomatoes have cooked down and all you have left is pure tomato flavor. Remove the onion and your sauce is ready.
- Add the sauce to the gnocchi and toss together just so the gnocchis are covered. Pour onto a serving plate or dish and VOILA! Gnocchi Con Salsa Pomodoro is served.
Check out the more amazing Pasta Recipes that will make you look and feel better, and help you become a “Pro Chef” in the kitchen.