The weather is warm and the skies are clear. Add an extra smile to your day by enjoying a dish of this refreshing fresh fruit ice cream that combines the fresh taste of summer fruits with a frozen treat. Bonus — this tasty treat has a low calorie content. So, be indulgent! ( 111 calories per 1/2 cup). (Everybody loves Oreo and Oreo Desserts so try it today at home!)
- Prep time:9 hours 15 min
- Ready in:9 hours 15 min
- Yields: Makes 8 servings.
Notes: This recipe requires 9 hours of freezing time. Actual preparation time is only 15 minutes.
- 2 cups juicy, fresh peaches, red raspberries, blueberries, or apricots, ( cook’s choice).
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons vanilla low-fat yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon honey.
- 1/4 cup low fat milk, preferably 2% or 1%.
Ingredient Notes: When selecting the fresh fruit seek out the juiciest pieces.
Substitutions: You can use canned peaches, red raspberries, apricots, or blueberries. When doing so do not drain. Use the syrup and omit the low fat milk. Prepare as directed.
- Place fresh fruit and low fat milk into a blender container or food processor bowl.
- Blend or process until velvet smooth. If using raspberries, strain and remove any seeds.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together fruit mixture with vanilla yogurt and honey; mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 8x8x2 baking pan.
- Cover and freeze 3-4 hours until firm.
- Break frozen mixture into chunks with a wooden spoon and place them in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until fluffy.
- Return the mixture to the baking pan.
- Cover and freeze for 6 or more hours until firm.
- To serve, let mixture stand at room temperature for 5 minutes then scoop into dessert dishes.
- To add a little twist to your Summer Fruit Ice use your favorite matching liqueur.
- To add liqueur; use 1/8 cup low fat milk and 1/8 cup liqueur when processing fresh fruit. Be aware that freezing time may increase slightly.
- Store unused portions covered in the freezer.
- Discard unused portions after 2 weeks.
Check out the 20+ Desserts Recipes that will make you look and feel better, and help you become a “Pro Chef” in the kitchen.